With the move coming up at the end of December, the next few weeks are pretty busy and there probably isn’t going to be much time for any significant radio for a while.
Brought the antenna down this afternoon. After being in the trees for almost three years, it still looks in pretty good condition.
Didn’t see any significant wearing on the wire insulation anywhere. A good spraying off and it would probably look just like new aside from the label on the center insulator fading a bit.
It’s not likely I’ll be able to set up an antenna or shack while we’re in the apartment, so playing serious radio will have to wait until we get things set up again at the new house. Might put the radio in the car and try to do some mobile work, or find a nice tree to throw some wire into and play radio out in the field between now and then.
With the radio all set up now in the new shack and connected to the antenna with a slightly shorter length of coax than before, and after being up in the air for two years now, I figured it was a good time to check the SWR performance across the bands to see how/if it changed.
Compared with two years ago, there haven’t been too many changes. SWR has gone up a little bit in general for all the bands, but not a whole lot. The biggest change seems to have happened on 80m, with the SWR around 3.8 MHz dipping down to a range that I think the radio’s tuner might be able to handle. The SWR on 15m has also gone above the range the radio’s tuner will handle, so that’s one band I seem to have lost.
Things still seem to be looking pretty good for the antenna so far. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a few more up this year.
Tested out the 6m dipole with a nice QSO with W4QYV (who happened to be pretty close by) up at 52.525 MHz (FM) and it worked out pretty well except for towards the end when I mysteriously stopped receiving/transmitting anything. The noise was still there, but apparently W4QYV wasn’t hearing me. Very weird.
I was also checking out the JT-65 activity at 50.276 and noticed that the signals there look a lot stronger with the ZS6BKW antenna than they do with the 6m dipole. The ZS6BKW is a good deal higher though and doesn’t have a bunch of houses in the way.
At any rate, I know that it can reach out at least a mile from the house. I was getting a bit concerned after tuning around the band and hearing nothing but noise. Now to decide if I want to leave it up at the house permanently or keep it handy to go portable with. Then again, I have enough wire around, so I could always make another one.
Built myself a 6m dipole using a dipole center and some of the hamfest wire I picked up back in February. As it’s also Towel Day, I had mine handy just in case.
I wanted my antenna to be resonant at 51 MHz. Using l = 149.35/f 1 gave me a length of 2.96m, so I cut a 3m length of wire and then cut that in half. I soldered some stranded wire to one end of each wire to connect to the dipole center and attached a couple of ceramic insulators to the end. One end got tied off against the house and the other end to my PVC mast propped up against a ladder.
The first look with my antenna analyzer showed the antenna resonating around 49.3 MHz with an SWR of 1.0 (wires a bit on the long side). A bit of math (49.3MHz/51MHz = 0.97) told me the antenna needed to be 2.9m long (3.0 * 0.97) so I trimmed 5 cm off each end and got 1.0 SWR right at 51 MHz.
With the dipole connected to the radio, the receive is definitely louder than the ZS6BKW on 6m. I wasn’t able to pick up any other stations, but there was a lot of electronic noise. In the fldigi waterfall, there were lots of periodically spaced vertical lines all across the band. I’ll have to give a listen later when it cools down a bit and people turn off their AC units. Maybe it’ll get better then.
At 2.9m long, it’s small enough to be very easily portable. I’ll need to get a much shorter length of coax to use with it to minimize losses (it’s connected to the radio using about 23m of coax) and something to hold it up in the air. Could be neat to carry this around and break it out when a 6m opening pops up.
1. Take l = 490/f, which gives you the length in feet when f is in MHz, and multiply by 0.3048 to convert to meters. Metric is how I roll.
Got the 10m Moxon up in the air on my PVC mast. Using both 10 foot sections of the mast proved to be a little too cumbersome for just myself to handle, so settled for using one 10 foot section and propped it up against a ladder for support. This gets the Moxon 4.15m (13.6 feet) up in the air. Not quite as high as I wanted, but for testing purposes, it will do.
Fiddled with the antenna element lengths and was able to get the SWR as low as 2.5-2.6 across the band, which is pretty close to the limit of what the tuner in the radio will match. Should be able to get it lower but I’m sure the ladder is messing things up some.
In any case, the antenna is up in the air and connected to the radio. Receive seems to be working pretty well. Loud stations come in louder, and the fainter stations come in just a little bit louder. I could definitely see a difference switching between the Moxon and the dipole while watching some 10m PSK.
Haven’t tried transmitting on the antenna yet. I’d like to see if I can get it a little higher and tune it so that the SWR a little lower.
Working with the shortened version of the mast seemed to work out pretty well, so I think as a platform for antenna experiments, it will do nicely.
Now to work on getting the antenna up higher and installed more permanently.