Finished off the microcontroller/DDS section of the build with the installation of U5. Used the solder and wick method to put it on as suggested in the assembly guide. Used a bit of flux paste to help hold the IC down and went at it with the solder. Worked out reasonably well and I think I managed to get it on without any solder bridges.
The next section (Audio amp/mute) has more SMT and is a fairly dense section of the board. Takes some patience and steady hand to get all the components in, but by now you’re used to the ‘tack and solder’ method so it goes a little faster.
Dave/AA7EE suggested installing one of the electrolytic caps (C36) in this stage and thinking I’d be clever, I went ahead and did it early. A little too early as it turned out, because the stage also calls for the two other larger electrolytic caps (C20 and C29). C36 is right next to C29, and if C36 is there first, it’s impossible to install C29. So because I jumped the gun, I ended up having to remove C36, solder on C29 then solder C36 back on.
The last part of the stage involves putting on the connectors and switches, which is pretty easy and goes pretty quickly. Almost starts looking like a transceiver now.
Next step is to wind two inductors and put them on. Once the replacement U4 and U6 arrive, I’ll put those on and be able to test if it produces any tones.